This guide is about installing Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC). ODAC is a compact component from Oracle that lets developers connect on Oracle. ODAC include ODT Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio, Oracle Providers for ASP.NET, .NET stored procedure support, as well as additional Oracle data access software for Windows. In short ODAC will let other development softwares communicate with Oracle Database.
1. First we have to check first the machine’s system type. For this guide the system is windows 10 64 bit. You can check the machines information by going to Control Panel\System and Security\System.
2. After the machine’s system is determined you have to download the latest ODAC version on the Oracle website http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index.html go to ODAC link then download the latest ODAC release. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html .
3. Once the ODAC zip file download is completed, unzip the file and run the setup. Setup will now start and installation screen will open.
4. After choosing your preferred language. The installer will now ask you for the Oracle Home user. Fill in the necessary credentials then click next.
5. Specify the oracle path then click next. Choose the Oracle components you or do not want to include on the check box list, just choose the default list and click next. The installer will perform prerequisite checks.
6. After the prerequisite checks are done click on install. Installer will now begin installing ODAC, once installation is completed click close.
7. Once the setup has been completed you can now begin configuring the tnsnames, Just go to the oracle installation directory then search for tnsnames.ora file it should be on \Network\Admin folder. Open the file with notepad then enter the tns connection. Replace the bold word on the tns configuration below.
TNSNAME = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hostname/ip)(PORT = 1521)) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = oracleservicename) ) )
The machine is now ready for development tools access to Oracle.